You may not be able to predict the weather, but spring style’s a cinch (for you and the girl in your life) with these on-trend jackets.
Trend to try: Modern Varsity
The collegiate classic is spring’s biggest must-have, redesigned in endless options. Casual enough to be worn every day, it now has a fashion-forward element that can pull its weight for a night out, too.
How to get it right:
- Pair it with coloured jeans. Choose a jacket with a bold print — think snakeskin, leopard or floral — and pull the look together with a tank or tee in a solid colour underneath.
- Dial up the femininity by wearing a varsity jacket over a simple sheath dress or with a pencil skirt. Add statement earrings or a bracelet as an edgy accent.
- Keep proportions in mind. Traditionally, this nonstructured jacket sits at the hips, which is great for petite frames, but there are also tailored length styles to be found this season which will flatter curvier shapes.
Trend to try: Updated Moto
A timeless wardrobe mainstay, today’s motorcycle jacket is more wearable than you might think. The trick is to choose an updated streamlined style that flatters your frame.
- A quick recipe for instant cool: Jackets that incorporate studs, quilting, colour or mixed fabrics. Look for a piece with at least one of the above.
- Think outside the box. Jeans tend to be the go-to choice with this jacket, but a ladylike skirt looks fresh and unexpected.
- Pay attention to the collar if you have a curvy bottom half. Oversize lapels and embellishment near the shoulders will help balance your proportions.
- Choose a form-fitting cut to accentuate your shape, and to serve as a go-to style option for evenings out.
Trend to try: Bold Prints
How to get it right:
- Big is in! Supersize your print: the louder your fashion statement, the higher the style factor.
- Don’t be afraid to combine prints. Pairing a bold floral with a calmer polka dot print (see our model) looks modern and fresh, while a basic pair of white jeans grounds the look.
- Keep accessories minimal. A simple pair of earrings with classic heels keeps the focus on the jacket.