3 Reasons to give the gift of Merrill House
If you’ve made your list and checked it twice, a little time away could be the perfect gift for a loved one or — let’s face it — you! After almost two years of vacations to Las Living Room or to St. Porch, a little getaway can go a long way this holiday season. Don’t want to hop a plane? No problem. We have a destination that’s only a few hours’ drive from Toronto that will make you feel like you’re a world away — Merrill House.
By Rachel Naud
Located in picturesque Prince Edward County, Merrill House is situated in Picton, Ontario, just a two-and-a-half-hour drive from Toronto.
3 Reasons Why It Makes a Great Gift:
Built in 1878 for Judge Edwards Merrill, The Merrill House is steeped in history and culture. Today, owner and creative director Jordan Martin de Rosales has managed to preserve the authenticity of the property while creating a mix of old and new to create the ultimate destination.
Having studied Luxury Brand Management in London, living in Zimbabwe and working for hotel groups in London and Dubai, Martin de Rosales brings his world travels and design aesthetics to the two-acre property and its 14 individually themed guest rooms. For instance, the Owner’s Suite serves up the ultimate accommodation on Merrill’s top floor with sweeping views across Picton, while the Future Room reimagines what the interiors of the future will look like.
Throughout the hotel, design elements include wallpaper by William Morris, murals by Fine and Dandy Co, objets d’art by British luxury label House of Hackney and furniture by Spanish designer, Houtique. The property also features a bespoke Indian marquee, complete with a ceiling with hundreds of hand-stitched stars, designed by Martin de Rosales to house Merrill weddings and events.
Merill House is also home to art exhibitions including The Indigenous Peoples on the Bay of Quinte, a collaboration with Rebecca Maracle, a fourth generation feathersmith from the Mohawk community.
For the ultimate experience, The Merrill House offers a mix of amenities — both free and paid — to create the ultimate getaway.
Free amenities include:
- Welcome Photograph: Capture your first Merrill House moments with an old-fashioned Polaroid
- Pillow-Scenting Service: Test scent domes at check-in and determine the perfect scent for your night’s sleep
- Gourmet Breakfast: Room rates include a complimentary gourmet breakfast by breakfast Chef Lili Sullivan
- Indoor and Outdoor Fireplaces: To be lit upon request
- Barrel Sauna: Book your one-hour private sauna session at reception
- Yoga and Meditation: Enjoy hatha, yin, gentle, restorative hot stone restorative, yoga nidra and meditation
- Luxury Toiletries: Enjoy custom rosemary, lemon and lavender soaps, body wash, shampoo and conditioner
- In-room Technology: Smart TVs with Netflix, Crave and Amazon Prime Video, Dyson hair dryers and an iPad to get in touch with the concierge
Additional amenities include:
- Wine Education: Enjoy a private wine course and tasting with one of the on-site sommeliers in the state-of-the-art cellar. Learn about Prince Edward County, wine pairings and more.
- Private Picnics: Enjoy a luxurious picnic in the walnut grove or in the orchard meadow at Domaine Martin. Picnics are served from an English picnic hamper and wine or Champagne can be added.
You won’t go hungry at the Merrill House. Executive Chef Mike Sullivan serves up the ultimate farm-to-table culinary experience. Merrill House has its own kitchen gardens, designed and maintained by the property’s passionate team of chefs and gardeners.
Treat you and yours to a six-course tasting menu this New Year’s Eve where you will be treated to everything from Foie Gras au Torchon and Pickerel Quenelles to Pan-Seared Enright Beef Tenderloin with Lobster Ravioli.
Afterward, you can return to your room, ready to dream about a better year ahead.
For more information, visit www.merrill-house.com
Looking for some holiday fun? Attend Merrill’s Very Jolly Holiday Reception!
Details: December 19: 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Go for an afternoon of fireside mulled wine, canapés, live music, holiday market shopping, and tours by our owner Jordan of our decorations and museum exhibits!
- Cup of mulled wine
- Selection of canapés
- Merrill goodies gift bag
- Entry into a raffle to win a night’s stay in a Merrill suite
- 20% off dining voucher for a future visit
- Tour of the Merrill Museum and our holiday decorations with Owner Jordan
- Live jazz trio and classical music concert
- Merrill Holiday Market
- A percentage of ticket sales will be donated to the Venezuela Educational and Medical Supply Relief fund
Additional food and beverages will be available for sale. A special holiday menu is available in our restaurant afterward.
Holiday Menu Special:
Pan-Roasted Cornish Game Hen on Spiced Savoury Bread Pudding
Clementine and Cranberry Jus
Purchase tickets here: https://www.merrill-house.com/store/p66/jollyholidayreceptionticket.html